The investigation into the threats to students and faculty of Hannibal Middle School last week continues.

In a press release Sunday, Hannibal School Superintendent Susan Johnson says that four students are in custody in connection with the threats that took place last Tuesday.

Johnson says she understands that none of the threats were to be carried out immediately and that all steps will continue to be taken to insure the safety of students, faculty and staff.

Johnson also said that due to the ongoing police investigation, her office cannot be specific about the nature of the threats.

Here is the press release from Supt. Johnson:

The Hannibal Police Department announced on Thursday that they have placed three juveniles in custody for potential threats to Hannibal Middle School students and faculty that were learned of on Tuesday of this week.

It is our understanding that a fourth student is now in custody and that other students have been interviewed by police and juvenile authorities.

The investigation by law officials has, to our knowledge, not yielded any information that the threats made were to be carried out immediately. Regardless, we take all threats seriously and have taken and will continue to take all steps necessary to protect our students, faculty and staff.

The Hannibal School District has removed any individuals that may have some connection to these potential threats from our school. Due process as well as federal and state law prohibits me from discussing what steps we have taken further.

Social media has suggested things about this event that are simply untrue. However, because of ongoing investigations by us and law enforcement I cannot respond to specific questions about the potential threat at this time. We will continue to consult with law enforcement and juvenile authorities on what can be released in the future.

We have, with the help of law enforcement, attempted to determine the identities of those who may have been subject of specific threats. We have made contact with the parents and guardians of any students and any faculty or staff that we can identify.

The Hannibal School District has and will continue to make student safety its first priority and we appreciate your understanding as we carry out that mission.