Crazy Laws in Illinois, Missouri and Iowa
There are a lot of crazy, weird and unusual laws still on the books in every state in America. Most of these laws were passed years and years ago in a very different time, and they simply have never been taken off the books. Upon looking at many of them, it's a real good thing these laws aren't still enforced.
For example, in Illinois these laws still exist...
- Those under 21 can drink legally, but they must be enrolled in a culinary program to do so.
- You can be arrested for vagrancy if you do not have at least one dollar bill on you.
- You must contact the police before entering the city in an automobile.
- It is illegal to hang obstructions from the rear view mirror. This includes fuzzy dice, air fresheners and GPS units.
- The English language is not to be spoken. The officially recognized language is 'American'.
- A state law in Illinois mandates that all bachelors should be called master when addressed by their female counterparts.
- It is illegal for anyone to give lighted cigars to dogs, cats, and other domesticated animals kept as pets.
- Single men between the ages of twenty-one and fifty must pay an annual tax of one dollar for being single.
- Salesmen are not allowed to peddle goods while sitting in the middle of the road, screaming at vehicles passing by.
- Women are prohibited from wearing corsets because "the privilege of admiring the curvaceous, unencumbered body of a young woman should not be denied to the normal, red-blooded American male."
- You may not use vulgar language outside your home.
- Hard objects may not be thrown by hand.
- Worrying about squirrels is not tolerated.
- One may not honk another person's horn.
- It is a crime to use a dead person’s handicapped parking sign or license plate.
- It is a violation of the law to sell or distribute drugs or narcotics without having first obtained the appropriate Iowa drug tax stamp.
- One-armed piano players must perform for free.
- Kisses may last for no more than five minutes.
- All softball diamond lights must be turned off by 10:30 PM.
- No trees or flowers shall be cut in the city parks.
- You must obtain written permission from the City Council before throwing bricks onto a highway.
- Horses are forbidden from eating fire hydrants.
More strange laws can be found by clicking on any of the state names listed above.